Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tablerock Brewpub & Grill

Tablerock Brewpub & Grill
705 Fulton
Boise, Idaho 83702
208-342-0944
http://www.tablerockbrewpub.com/

Tablerock – Restaurant or bar with a personality disorder?

As you approach, the brick exterior and signage gives the impression of a bar. To contrast that, the covered entry door that is set in off the street and the outside dining area take you back to thinking that it’s a restaurant. Once inside though, the confusion only gets worse. The inside of this half pub, half restaurant has an Arizona flavor, which is a bit odd for a Boise based eating establishment. The inside is pretty drab and boring with plain browns and bare walls reminiscent of a bar. My wife, that normally accompanies me, made a comment on the design and feel of the restaurant. Just past the bar the ceiling rises to the roof like a hole that goes upward. She commented that if it wasn’t for this rise in the ceiling, this place would feel claustrophobic.

My take on Tablerock is that they are trying to cater to both bar goers and restaurant goers and tried to accommodate and appeal to both crowds. In my opinion they failed to accomplish this. Tablerock looks like a bar that decided it wanted to be a restaurant but didn’t want to give up the bar life.

The most noticeable feature of the interior is the huge steel beer vats that sit behind glass enclosed rooms just behind the bar. Though the restaurant and the bar are both incorporated in this one building, I did not notice the smell of cigarette smoke or the unusual noise level that I would normally associate with a bar. In the corner there sits a large popcorn machine which adds to the bar like feel. In fact, I could not help but get visions of the TV show Cheers in my head.

We began with an appetizer of their “Buffalo Bites.” The menu describes these as a boneless version of Buffalo wings with tender chicken breast smothered in a traditional buffalo sauce. I was very disappointed with what arrived, though I have to admit that my review of these may be tainted by the fact that I loathe vinegar and vinegar based sauces.

The chicken strips were not especially tender or the light and fluffy textured meat that I would expect from using fresh chicken. They looked and tasted like the frozen chicken strips that can be purchased from any store. They were indeed drenched in a red sauce. Now for those of you out there that like the taste of vinegar, you might love these, as my wife does. They had a very strong vinegar flavor which was very overpowering and bitter. I thought that the heat level was pretty mild, but my wife had to drink a lot of water. (On a side note, water only spreads the heat. Dissipating the heat requires a milk based product.)

For our main course I ordered the bacon Cheeseburger, while by wife ordered the Meatloaf. After we had turned in our order and waited 10 minutes or so, our server came over to our table and told us that she had to make a confession. She admitted to us that she had neglected to turn in our order. After apologizing, she went off to turn in our order. I have to give her good marks for admitting to this error on her part. She could have kept this info to herself. We would have thought the service slow, but we would have been none the wiser to her mistake.

Our meal did finally arrive and we anxiously dug in. My hamburger was one of the better ones that I have had in Boise. There were large strips of crispy bacon to accompany the large hamburger patty. The meat itself had a wonderful charbroiled flavor but was a little red on one edge of the patty which indicated to me that it had not been cooked evenly.

My wife’s Meatloaf was dripping with grease. I tasted it and I liked the flavor in spite of the abundance of grease. Again, our server (#27) came to our rescue. She noticed that my wife had barely touched her meal and came to our table. She must have noticed the grease as well, because she commented that the Meatloaf did not go over too well, and offered to remove it. She took my wife’s Meatloaf without saying much else, but soon returned. She said that he Meatloaf and the drinks would be no charge and that she hoped that we would return.

In spite of the problems that we encountered at Tablerock, we will return. I was very impressed with how they handled the problems that we experienced. Many businesses seem to have the misconception that problems and mishaps are the end and even the talk or the admitting to such should be avoided. This is a result of poor thinking and a traditional view of sweeping problems under the proverbial carpet.

The reality is that problems and complaints should be viewed positively. Employees and businesses that admit to mistakes and problems and make restitution for those mistakes will win loyal employees. Most customers will respect that employees or that businesses honesty in admitting to the problem and going the extra mile of making some sort of restitution for their mistake. In fact static’s show precisely this.

So all that to say that I will indeed return to tablerock and give them another chance.

No comments: